Skip to main content

Rebel of all trades

The latest news in SBevvy land was an adventure down to ft worth, TX for the Cowtown Marathon. A number of OKRunners were going to participate and who am I to shy away from some pacing duties and free and bottomless post race beer? Conner Wann was set to leg out his first 1/2 thon along with Josh Heimbach, Patti Rogers, Kels Hargens, and assorted other friends and patrons. As a sidenote, Ive had a tumultuous last week and a bit initiated by a massive hangover incurred a week previous, which led to a rough Saturday at the shop, which led to a trying weekend with the lady friend, which resulted in a number of sleepless and stressful days and nights. I also had managed to somehow strain an ankle tendon by a combination of running 12 miles on sand with a backpack on and doing hill repeats promptly afterward, but more likely just from lacing my damn shoe too tight. In any case my ankle looked like a bloated and decaying lamb shank and stayed that way as I worked at the shop on my feet throughout the week. As we neared the weekend, I hoped I could manage to heal enough to not be hindered by the situation and obviously exacerbate things. It was showing progress by Friday and thusly I deemed things feasible for some faster running. I had talked with Jerrys kids about using his marathon bib number as he had long been entered and long knew he wasn't going to participate and I was making the call on race week. This long-winded lead up to the recap of the outcome is only to set the tone and convey that the spontaneity of the situation is (mostly) what prompted my course of action. Anyway, after a nice early run with our Saturday morning group, a 1/2 day at the store and a dinner with assorted Oklahomans at a nice Texas byob restaurant, we awoke to nice race day conditions. Conner and I got out fast enough for his 116 goal but the variable and undulating nature of the course proved to be tough to match and we slowed a bit through the windy sections in the stockyards and a section with a 1/2 mile climb into the wind. As we approached the 10 mile mark, I was feeling comfortable and somewhat complacent to just run in, knowing we were slowing and not particularly wanting to waste an occasion for a good long run. I made the choice to just run on for the full marathon, feeling pretty good for about 25 miles of the race. I also happened to be the first one across the line. Now cowtown is another one of these races with a size able entry fee but no awards for top finishers and as I had nothing to prove with the time, I explained the situation to the press and the race director, but assuming there wouldn't be a rebuke for my actions. There were, of course and that's why I'm recapping the run from my position as the fastest finisher for yesterday's run but n it the winner. There are so many ways to debate this topic, being that Jerry and I are in the same age group, have the same qualifying time, and we are given entry to the race by the RD. I understand why the rules exist but I think if it's ultimately more for score keeping than anything. I'll leave it at that, I would like to hear more discussion from people that are now informed of the way the run played out. I don't know what the current rules and sanctions are on races, I know things like safety should be paramount in these events and this has nothing to do with that, maybe headphones, dogs, and strollers do. I am also aware that posing under different names is scorned by RDs and I don't have any ill will towards the cowtown RD at all, I'm just surprised it came to the end result it did. I enjoyed a number of things Sunday, a good solo run, a great shake from Malt Shop, and an amazing burger from Dutch's. My feet are beet up from the effort but surprisingly my ankle was less swollen post race the pre? It's back to bulbous today and I lost a toenail thanks to running sock less, but I will shed no tears about this one.


STAR-TELEGRAM/PAUL MOSELEY
This runner crossed the finish line as the Marathon winner, but was disqualified by race officials for wearing another runner's bib. (EDS< no ID since the bib # does not reflect his name)(EDS< he is NOT reacting to the penalty in photo). Competitors by the thousands gathered at the Will Rogers complex Sunday for the running of the 2012 Cowtown Marathon, Ultra-Marathon and Half-Marathon, which started at 7am. Photographed 2/26/12, Fort Worth, TX. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram/Paul Moseley)

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/26/3764539/cowtown-marathons-first-finisher.html#storylink=cpy

Add: the plot has thickened and I've somehow gone viral with the new York times calling to inquire on the weekend's antics...

Comments

Unknown said…
Love it...rock on renegade!!! All you have to do is point to the (real) scoreboard when anyone gives you grief. Congrats on your 'win'!!
Allen said…
Hey man,

Nice job on the win. DQ is meaningless, especially in a race with no prize. Congrats - enjoy your 15 minutes, albeit for a weird reason.

Unknown said…
Dude, if a race does not permit you to exchange out a bib than you have no business running with someone else's bib - end of story!

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...