Skip to main content

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like
Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's?
Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at?
Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you.
Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer.
Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you.
Spenis: Where the fuck you at?

So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are sheets of ice, checking out every locale he claims to be at, some of which are closed for the night or fictional period. Anyway I give Skolnick the phone so I can scan the horizon and look for a drunken idiot in every alley and gutter. We notice some guy walking down the street yelling, not Spenis, and then look further down the way in the direction of the dude's yelling and notice Spenis is in fact walking down the middle of Asp yelling into his phone. Mission accomplished. But oh no a drunk Spenis still has pretty good foot speed and slick street maneuverability. Anyway, we finally retire Spenis, I think, for the evening and I went and got some food.

Life is going good right now as a 27 year old. I'm hardly running but I think that will come shortly and I'm pretty fit from cycling. I don't have any spring race plans other than a possible duathlon in late March for laughs. I am trying to come up with some definite summer plans in the form of mountain runs, and bike tours nothing that is going to involve a lot of specific training just mostly lenghty aerobic outings.
I find myself reading a lot of the minimalist/barefoot literature the has been coming out of the woodwork lately. I have a lot of issues with it and would like to here from more veterans and seasoned coaches on the topic. I do know that the only stress fracture I have sustained was after training in the most minimal footwear across the board that I have ever run in. I love the feeling of barfoot running but for the Harvard prof to blatantly suggest that people go run on pavement barefoot is really tough for me to swallow. Of course man can run a marathon on pavement barefoot, but how fast and consistently? I know the tales of Abebe Bikila but he wasn't training on concrete, nor racing on it at the Rome Games. I know of few other cases where people have run exceptionally on HARD surfaces without footwear and I personally think it's a little dangerous to advocate such a blanket statement. I think the benefit of SUPPLEMENTING training with minimalist work is to improve form and efficiency but I think that efficiency could just as easily come with some proper drills, speedwork, etc. Dynamic training is an imperative for the average runner, too much of the same thing without real progression and room for adaptation. I want to hear what my friends think.

Lots o' links:
http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/index.html

http://www.dailytriathlon.com/profiles/blog/show?id=1412027%3ABlogPost%3A35769

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/

http://www.imogenerun.com/

http://www.blueridgerelay

Comments

Unknown said…
Dude, I stumbled upon your blog a couple days ago. I hear you on the barefoot running. I've had a few friends show me different articles about barefoot running and tell me it's a good idea...some suggesting I should try it. I can't imagine how it could help outside of a few strides after a workout. It seems like a great way to get an injury.

Also, that Harvard study was funded by Vibram as those Five Finger shoes came out.

Stephen Pyle
Heather said…
i'm with you little buddy- i too am totally interested in using barefoot running as a TOOL to use with hammering the streets. seems ridiculous to go totally barefoot on the streets, but i'm definitely going to start incorporating an increasing amt on the grass barefoot when the weather warms up. the shenanigans are words to a hungry ear! i love it, can picture the specifics, and applaud the situation generally. specifically too. send penis my best!
Heather said…
uhmmm...sorry bout that - that post was john-boy's but logged in as heather! ha! uhhhmmm....there's a slim possibility i'm an idiot!
Unknown said…
Good commentary guys- I have a lot of problem with Born to Run as a book but that doesn't mean there isn't a little progress to be gleaned from the manifesto. There is no way to get around it, there's more impact associated with running on harder surfaces, too soft and sloppy is also an issue. With my it band stuff, I'm having much more issue with the roads than softer surfaces. I can run in minimal shoes though on said soft surfaces. Biking isn't something we have "evolved" too doing yet but somehow our bodies musculature can adjust and low and behold minimal injuries persist despite whatever footwear present. THe idea that there is one way to train is obviously just that an idea not a functional reality.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...