Skip to main content

tendinosis is in the air

Came off last week's midweek hilly long run with some pain in the achilles, the only other time I've encountered this is a month back heading in to the 3m 1/2. I don't recall having to do a whole lot to resolve it, just lots of foam roller massage and light eccentric stretching which is basically what I'm doing now but this definitely started in a more agitated state and I noticed a little nodule with localized tenderness. It's a little scary to head back out on the hills now but it will have to go down in the next couple weeks for a test. As of now, everything seems to be coming along well and I really only had to cut a couple days of mileage and intensity.

I'll take this time to add some fuel to the old and oft maligned minimalist shoe debate. I pretty much run in only lightweight trainers and have for some time. I'm not afraid to put on the flats for workouts or runs when I'm feeling spry. I think we all know how this goes, some days you feel stiff and deadlegged, maybe a bit sore from a workout and with at least 25-50% of my run probably taking place on concrete on any given day, I need some cush on occasion. Form is irrelevant in my mind on this one. Often my 2nd run is strait off of work and it already takes a time to get the tendons and muscles loosened up before I take to the streets, so the touch of support and shock dampening I garner from my shoes is well worth it to me in my plight. The issue I have immediately noticed is that the slight heel lift in most conventional running sneaks is significant enough to diminish strain on the calf and achilles. Case in point is my current aggravated condition. Just a few days with a heel lift was enough to diminish my problems, which granted are not as substantive as Jordan's. Point being: some cush and lift is good for me and even minimalist types like my buddy Rex Pace, on occasion, particularly when running 120+ a week on alot of hills and pavement and then working another good 6-8 hours daily at the shop. Gotta give the dogs a break every once in a while.

Karhu folks can thank me later for this photo, but bear in mind most of these guys' miles were on soft, pine needle-laden trails and they drank reindeer piss which enabled them to grow terrific beards.

Comments

Unknown said…
that's a damn great photo!

watch that achilles carefully. it's a painful bastard once the nodule is fully developed. glad it sounds like you've got things under control.
Meagan Nedlo said…
and karhu uses a 14mm heel differential! it all comes full circle.
I do a little running when I get any tendon pain from cycling so maybe the reverse will be true for you.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...