Skip to main content

do the commute

Since I've returned to the level of health that is needed to run 6 or so miles at a go, on pavement, I often find myself doing just that and as a added benefit I can start at the digs and conclude at the shop. I actually rather enjoy doing this and usually I have enough crap in my locker at the shop that I don't have to take extra things along. However, every once in a while, I do take the running pack along laden with a few clean layers and essentials. Well, on Friday morning I took this route and low and behold I getting so fit that I was actually ahead of schedule when I arrived so, what's a boy to do besides add on. For me that consisted of some lappers on the grass field behind Don Cies Realty (basically only Jordan will know where I'm talking about). Anyway I tossed my pack on the edge of the field next to the alley way that runs behind CVS, Brookhaven Goodyear, etc. Each lap on this thing takes at most a minute and consists of a completely open flat grass lot. I had noticed a car driving down the alley, a well maintained red Toyota Solara, basically the domain of a geriatric hipster, and thinking nothing of it hadn't done anything to take into account who was behind the wheel. Well, you see where this is going... Of course my bag is not residing where it was stowed and I immediately am cursing the entirety of Brookhaven.Sensing someone might still be playing the good samaritan card, I jog out to Robinson to look for this retched auto. I see nothing and am about to head over to OK Runner, when the Solara comes back down Robinson and stops at the light. I immediately notice that there are two guys about my age with mechanics uni's on and a scruffy appearance. Sensing exactly what situation I'm in with short shorts and nary a shirt, I yell over asking where my backpack was. The look at me as the light turns green and proceed on without so much as a word. Well now I've got something to go with. My sister already hates the Brookhaven tire shop because they belittled her in some way and now I'm thinking I could even both our scores and firebomb the place. I'm headed over to the shop as the car cruises back by and one guy innocuously asks if I said something about a backpack, because he couldn't hear what with the brake pads being worn and music playing. So without getting into a debate on why my bag ended up in a car that was neither his, nor mine I ran out in the intersection, grabbed the bag and headed to work.

This tale is one of many great sordid run-ins with people in the last two days who really rekindled my questioning of the quality of humanity that we encounter on a daily basis. May each of you readers find something positive in the interaction you face on this day, because the enrichment you take from strangers or passers by who are of a kindly extraction is so often fulfilling- and just in the opposite manner an asshole can really take the wind out of your sails...

End of rant, I'm running up to the coffee shop and zoning out:

Comments

Unknown said…
that's crazy man. i know exactly where you're talking about. i'm glad you got the bag back from those turds. also, good to hear that you are rounding into form nicely.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...