Skip to main content

when I run, when I run like a bandit

As it stands, we are 3weeks out from the marathon and things are going alright. This week I pulled through a funk early on and then felt pretty good throughout the remainder. The weather has been a challenge but mentally and physically but it's probably best this way as we will no doubt encounter some less than perfect race day conditions. On Friday and Saturday, I basically shaped my training around coffee drinking sessions, which was everything I hoped it would be. Finally, Sunday marked the inaugural Redbud Classic bandit workout. On this years installment, Jordan was part of the show to see how a truly well-managed Oklahoma race is conducted. Other than 30 mph sustained wind and 40mph gusts, weather was great and we managed to tack on 2 miles just before the race in 11:0X then ran the 10k in ~32:45 with something like 16:45/16 splits. It was a session that left us feeling pretty good, not all out, and ready for whatever this week holds. This is really going to be the last 14 days of quality workouts, so I will probably just focus on a couple marathon pace efforts, one within a long run and something a little faster. I haven't set up any make-or-break type of workout, and I'm short in the long run department, but I'm a little fresher than previous training blocks so we'll see whether there is some residual strength from long runs past. Plus, let us not forget that I've got the wise and crafty veteran moniker on my side.
In other news, we have confirmation on a James E. Mcnellie's Pub going in on Main St. in Norman. This is great news, but it's also going to make it harder for me to get my own public house off the ground. The owners of this group are some savvy folks and it's great to see the rapid upgrade, relatively speaking (compared to how long it had sat idle) of the downtown Norman area.

Comments

a mcnellie's confirmation already?
i need more info

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...