Skip to main content

this wilderness up in my head

It looks like I've let a week get away from me without blogification so here goes- Training was nice. I've been able to get in some doubles, mainly because I need an easy jog in the afternoons after I do these treadmill tests but as long as I stretch and stuff, I've been feeling good enough. I'm running pretty steady on my runs and as a result having a little trouble building the duration of my runs, but the fitness is coming along and I'm not that concerned with an official long run at this point. I got a nice run in with John on Monday, hit the Vo2 on Tuesday, where I went significantly farther on the test, but got a lower reading than last time, 74. The ex phys kids were threatening to increase my critical velocity to 4:00 pace but I told them that was ridiculous and they relented. I backed that up on Wednesday with 2 minutes at 14mph, big break, then 21 minutes at 5:10 pace, which took some concentration but I could have knocked out a few more minutes. I'm curious to get back my bloodwork as it took place before any real training began and so should be a good baseline indication. I hit the grass track on Thursday afternoon on what was really a glorious day, the sun on the tall grass prairie was metallic and the wind seemed to die throughout the run. This is a pretty good run and I can go back and forth between the grass and the bike path and north base. I bumped into Solomon Tsegay, a Norman North kid who is really getting into running but unfortunately a senior. He's Ethiopean and I think he could be really good, but he's only now getting some fitness, under the tutelage of a one Sallah Hussein.

I had the 6th grade kids on Friday, which was the defacto Valentine's Day celebration at the public schools. I was really impressed by the tonnage of sugar I saw a couple 80 pound kids consume. It was non-stop and I knew I was in trouble as they had already tapped into the mainline by second hour. I, myself, got a quality amount of cupcakes and red 5 into system, but was unscathed after a 55 minute jog. Ms. Christy Kenkel's 25th b-day was yesterday as well and so I hit the city for the Iguana Lounge pork carnitas and tequila. I didn't wake up seeing red, fortunately, but was probably a bit compromised for my treadmill workload this morning. I did something like 3:30 at 13.4mph, then 2k at 12.9mph. I felt tight and the heart rate was through the roof. Feeling sorry for myself, I hit plaid for their namesake confection, the plaid bar, which is pretty much butter and dark chocolate. I could not finish it, which I was a little upset over. Room for improvement...

Comments

Cheryl Rose said…
Well hello there ScottD...thanks for keeping me entertained/motivated in life, not to be a stalker or anything. So I would like to hear more about this treadmillage training...quite interesting what you are doing.
Unknown said…
Hey Cheryl, I'll keep my posts going if you do the same. How would you say you're liking the grad program so far? I'm still thinking about giving the old grad school a try, though I don't know where or even if I'm going for ex phys. What are you and Trev's spring plans?
Cheryl Rose said…
Hi Scottie. Yeah, my blog has not yet found it's identity...is it a family informer or the philosophies and humorous sarcasm in my head. Hmmmm. Ex Phys is a pretty good grad program. It's really interdisciplinary, so you can really take the classes you want. I had an epiphany that it's allowing me to keep with my life's theme of exercise. I teach exercise classes as a TA, then I study exercise (which I think you would really enjoy, at least some of the more pertinent topics and current research), and then when I leave school I go exercise. Anyways, it's working out quite well for the time being, I really like it! As for spring break...nilch. Would you like to help me plan an outing?

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...