Skip to main content

Rx: run like the shirefolk

My heal had been pretty effed for most of last week and naturally after the Turkey Trot as I had no time at all to ice or stretch and drinking Optimators and fraternizing till the wee hours, sadly, is not the cure for this infirmity. Anyway, I ended up taking Friday off completely as I picked up a bit of a cold and being pretty careful for the rest of the weekend, sticking to grass and getting in alot of barefoot time in which really gets the fascia stretched out, plus you get some sweet callused and dirty feet. If only I had the power to cultivate some sweet hair on them as well. I think it was a wise idea as today I'm feeling better and ready to get a little work in this afternoon after a morning run on the roads with Holly. It's really effing windy which stirs up my allergies and places like the river trails and Sutton are more protected anyway so I'll override my aversion to driving to a run and head to one of those choice spots, maybe put in a little fartlek out there.

We've got the WhiteRock Relay coming up and my goal has been outlined for me: beat Jordan during my 5mile leg, which will mark the last 5miles of his 20miler and the second "race" effort as he is doing the first 6 mile leg. Second goal: try a new beer or 3 at the Ginger Man or some other quality public house after the work is done.

Comments

leonids11 said…
Hi Scott,

You might consider a different approach to treating your fascia problems -- namely, running only on even surfaces. When I suffered from plantar fasciitis, Googling revealed that the condition is aggravated by running on grass, asphalt, sand, dirt, concrete -- just about any surface imaginable. At the time, I frequently ran on uneven surfaces such as the grass track at North Base and the dirt/grass/gravel track at Lions Park, half a mile south of the OK Runner. One morning, I tried to run at North Base. It was so painful I stopped and headed to Norman High School to run on the track. I was able to complete my workout. I went for months without running on uneven surfaces, sticking to the Norman High track and asphalt roads. Meanwhile, my sore foot felt much better. My experience amounts to only one anecdote, and I don't know of any controlled studies showing that eliminating uneven surfaces from running routines in favor of flat surfaces leads to recovery from plantar fasciitis, but I think it's worth a try.
Unknown said…
David,
thanks for the insight. I can wholeheartedly agree that running on more even surfaces seems to help as well as just getting off the roads. The hard surfaces seem to really iritate the foot, especially at the beginning of my runs. I still feel like the barefoot running on grass helps because without the shoes the foot plant is much more even and true. I am a really obsessive runner and so some times I overlook the obvious, but I have definitely been getting off the roads(and certainly not running on anything really uneven).

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...