Skip to main content

An evening with the Royal Family of the guitar

Last night I was lucky enough to see the Romeros in concert up in the city. While I doubt that this was a particularly memorable show for them, I really enjoyed the show. The performance was booked by OCCC and due to the nature of the show, the moved it to First Presbyterian Church in Heritage Hills, which is a nice place but it was a little tough to see all of the players antics without stadium seating. In any case they played a variety of songs and styles from several different time periods. Celin, Celino, Lito, and Pepe Romero are clearly very pleasant musicians who enjoy playing before all types of audiences. I was a little surprised that OU didn't book them but evidently there was a conflict at Catlett and the quartet are playing so many shows that they have a very limited flexibility. I have always been particularly fond of the piece Granada (this is Segovia and the video is not Granada, it's La Malaguena), and it was nice to see the two elder Romeros' duet rendition. All in all a very nice performance and an evocative evening. Another favorite of mine is Sevillanas.
My hip doesn't seem to be broken but it's really sore so I've been applying the frozen peas several times a day. I have developed a level of frustration over not being able to run that should keep the fire from getting staunched for quite sometime, once I'm back on my feet. It's pretty hard to not be able to capitalize on the fitness gains I had made and after suffering through the summer and then having to watch the twin city and Chicago marathons from the sideline (not to mention big local races) I don't see myself any less invested once I get back to training. Viva la passion

Comments

Anonymous said…
i was there too. i was the camera guy in a blue shirt. which one of the romeros do you think is the best at classical guitar?
Unknown said…
THat's a tough call. I still say Senor Pepe has got his stuff together, while Celin looked a little hagard, mostly playing bass harmony. It was a little hard to tell, I thought maybe they were giving Celino his chance to shine and Lito looked effortless in his only solo piece.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...