Skip to main content

And the red sky comes creapin' in...

Despite continued refusal to operate at full capacity my lungs and the rest of my body completed a couple of runs today, sandwiched around a mostly unscintillating day at NHS. I want to know what makes certain kids think that they can completely disregard an authority figures and argue and interrupt while I try to impose some small level of diligence upon them. I can't imagine a scenario where I would have talked shit to a teacher or substitute in a similar circumstance so I'm just trying to understand if anything has really changed with the youth of today. Oh and cell phones are everywhere in school and they think it prudent to utilize them as often as possible. Add that to the list of things that makes me despise that infernal invention all the more.
On a different note, my family headed up to Tom and Jerry's on 23rd St. last night for my mum's B-day. It was a pretty good place (I sadly had to keep the wine to a minimum), but interestingly empty all night. This is an upscale spot but by non means an undertaking. The restaurant does a variety of food and wine tastings and other events which I know a well-recieved. My point here is to say that this is just another example of people too often making the mistake of eating at the safe, commercial joints that and miss out on much better and more exciting fare. I had paella and a solid fried artichoke appetizer. The place had a Pinot from New Mexico, but sadly I was unable to sample. It can't be as good as the booze at Tres Suenos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...