Skip to main content

Hittin singles

So the last week spent in glorious Stillwater, looked something like this:
M: 16 miles, dirt roads/XC course, few strides
T: 16 miles, hilly dirt roads, really windy and hot
W: 15 miles w/ 11x 90 on/off, 3 miles Asher run
Th: 12 miles
F: 15 miles, 5 shakeout, strides felt really tight
S: 12 miles, stayed out late and had to entertain parentals all day so run was late and I ended up getting really dehydrated
Su: 9 miles, 92 degrees stiff breeze and feeling it from week, opted to not run again because of my issues yesterday, i wanted to ensure recovery and with the heat this week i needed to be a little careful and get ready for next week; drove back to Norman and invested in some ice cream.

I watched some decent films (The Big Year being the highlight) and some bad ones, cooked some tasty snacks and hurdled 3 snakes on the dirt roads without getting bitten. Im not loving the weather, it's never an easy time of the year around here, you either get allergies or gale force winds, heat, and humidity. I have never had great luck advancing my fitness in the spring IF I push the workout agenda. So my plan is to get in modest workouts and high mileage. The variability in conditions just makes it tough to aspire to paces and I think it's safer when training for the marathon to learn how to play to the conditions because I'm not foreseeably going to be in perfect scenarios for races and I am not so time driven at this point to be pulling out when I overshoot the pace. I also avoided to most pressing concern I had which was suffering an alcohol free day. It is a real concern because Stillwater is a dry county and particularly after Friday's miles, copious drinks, and late night, the danger lies in not wanting to get back on the horse the next day. But the training and resolve are there I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...