Skip to main content

guero goes to Austin

This weekend's short and sweet venture to Austin resulted in a pr in the rarely raced 1/2 marathon distance for me and some quality food and beverage. The 3m course is definitely a very fast one, however the 71 degree start temps at 6:45am meant we were dealing with some sturdy wind and high humidity. The race went out easily enough and I was pleased to be in a group of 5 or 6 which I hoped would just pull me along for the whole race. That notion fizzled after a few miles and as it was still extremely humid the turns we were navigating were fairly slick and the lunaracers were not sticking to the pavement. By 6 miles or so there are more straightaways that would hopefully result in an amazing time. However, I was getting pretty warm and thirsty by this time and it was not my best section of the race, it's where I lost Ewen North who would end up pulling in Jerry and the dude he was running with. I was happy that I did put in a few more good miles to get to the finish. This is a course that would be amazing on the perfect day, which Sunday was not. However, I'm pleased with the time and will look to improve on it later this spring.

The food portion of this chronicle will serve to commend Hey! Cupcake, Hill Country Pasta, and Guero Taco bar for some quality stuff. I may have been feeling the affects of consuming this nosh, but it was a trade I gladly made.

One more note, beer cures all: I had a pretty ravaged stomach and headache post race thanks to the humidity and heat. Add a couple shiners to the mix (and some migas) and things started to promptly improve. Thank you beer for all you do and your gently kindness when in post-race distress.

Comments

Meagan Nedlo said…
nice race! i faced the same conditions as you in houston and, unfortunately, did not fare as well. but you're right--3M is a crazy fast course on the right day! i once ran 1:23 there when i was NOT fit (had run 1:26:xx at white rock a month earlier) and had food poisoning the entire week. guess that's why it's not eligible for a trials qualifier.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...