Skip to main content

runsnobokc

I figured since I have a day off I would go ahead and make up for 5 weeks of inadequacy by posting twice, maybe even more, today. So, I thought it might be time to give notice of some distressing issues going on in these parts. As a side effect of increased runner traffic, Edmond has decided to enforce ticketing of runners who don't stay on the sidewalk. I, myself, was stopped last spring on a run heading east on Lindsey, not more than a 1/4 mile from where the sidewalk ends on a section of street that has been widened to four lanes, but with no shoulders added. I would imagine it is but a matter of time before we see much the same tactic used in Norman. Now, while I'm not totally a fan of running on sidewalks in general, I can understand the need to underscore the importance of runner safety in the darker months. However, there seems to be little building code or consistency with creating sidewalks or lighting. Seeing as it is now dark as soon as one is getting off work, people are probably going to gravitate towards safer, surer footing, lights, etc. I have a huge issue is people cannot feasibly run. The problem is obviously a lack of venues conducive to running. This has been mine and others complaints for a long time and an obvious problem with throwing up bike route signs or not following through on completion of outdoor venues and the like that would cater to those parties interested. I think polling of citizens to ask what they need is in order and oversight of how these places are managed. It has also shocked me that we don't do a better job of implementing facilities that obviously work in other cities and as a result are clearly a bright spot of the area and a boon to society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...