Skip to main content

add.: gabf winners

Over a month ago, I ventured to Denver for the Great American Beer Fest. It was awesome, despite falling on the same day that Jenny and I ran over 2 1/2 hours at altitude. To say that the offerings at this thing is vast does it no justice. It's a festive event that I hope to attend again down the road. Beer unites and it was fun to see just who turned out for the event, the who's who of brewmaster rockstars, the costumes, the bearded and bellied old-timers, and of course the raucous frat dude types that try to swat your beer glass out of hand and yell "oooohhhhh." We paced ourselves and enjoyed some street vendor donuts and light beers when we needed a break. I think some of my favorites were of course the more beastly IPAs, the sour beers, and then some of the cask aged beers. I did really enjoy an orange blossom ale at the end of the day which pretty dry and just had a really fragrant and light-handed citrus aroma. The evening is a blur, but suffice it to say that it was also Oktoberfest in Denver and we were within walking distance of our hotel so I worked the pint glass pretty good. All of the OKlahoma brewers were in attendance and so a few weeks later when we ventured to Chickasha for The Roadkill and were treated by the brewmaster from COOP, it was fun to compare notes and feel like I was abreast of the trends in the industry. By the way, the Roadkill was awesome, it was a beastly course but I ran in a progressive fashion and was able to run under 16 minutes for my last 5k of the race to track down a couple good guys. The post-race bbq was good and the bevvys were sublime especially out of our awesome tankards.

GABF winners

Here is a quality pic from our innaugural Lake T-Bird Chili Trots. It shows a few festive event-goers working on their tan, my trusty running pooch buddying up with some other dudes chili bowl, and said tankard.

Here is a picture of corrupt chili judge Gustavo Tomasino working the crown up and giving props to O'connels and Mustang Brewery for rehydrating everybody post-run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...