Skip to main content

just a dream away

So since I last reported, I was in the thick of things in New Mexico grilling red meat every night and consuming bacon and beer for breakfast. The training camp had to end, of course, and now I'm back in muggy Oklahoma. I hesitate to really complain because the weather has actually been a lot cooler than it was while I was away and some people had to train right through the worst of it. In any case, I feel like I've re-acclimated to the summer conditions here and returned to my sleep deprived self. Mileage is still up but I'm sort of taking it a little more easily with the long tempo runs as those are more difficult in these conditions than anything.

We headed to Ada, OK for the 43rd annual Fireball Classic and came away with mostly positive experiences. Jenny got a course record, C-top got his first quality race effort in, and I ran a decent time over a very rugged course. The guy's record is held by Conor Holt from '96 when he was evidently coming off the Big 8 10k title. The fact that I was 20" off that mark is comforting even though the time is a wash. No real race plans for July so just going to put the head down and grind some miles hopefully to get back out on the racecourse in August for some 5ks mixed with a few marathon workouts/prep races.

Some great sporting events over the last few weeks, only to be topped by this weekend's WC final and Alp stages of Le Tour. I haven't touched the bike in weeks but I may or may not have run some miles in a thong speedo or spandex devil oufit. I will say that I toasted the worthy play of the Germans and there eventual futbol demise at pint night and got a WC collector's glass to prove it.

I wish indie music wasn't making it into movies/car commercials/insurance adds so rampantly:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...