Skip to main content

get fast, but don't hurry

Broadcasting from the Duke City, aka Albuquerque. Jerry and I have made a pact to do what we can to up the training stimulus by training here and at a few choice alpine destinations in hopes of reaching beyond our existing bipedal powers. Henceforth we will refer to this training stint as the Barbaric Chamber, which involves a very specific manifesto and schematic. The plan is certainly not without sacrifice in many ways, but in the wake of suffering shall come greater passion, I hope and believe.

The highly thought out and scrutinized ruleset goes something like this (taking into account it was jotted out on a bar napkin last night):

1. No shaving/personal grooming. No exceptions!
2. Minimum of 10 miles/ day
3. At least 1 beer/ evening (NO AFD's!)
4. All meat products should tend towards the red varietal
5. If significant predatory animal is encountered it must be subdued in < 1 hour
6. Grilling multiple times/ day intended
7. Drinking beer in the shower encouraged
8. Green chile pre& post run shall be attempted
9. 1 nap a day is good, 2 naps a day is better
10. Everything ordered at a restaurant and all grocery items must be consumed in their entirety (leave no trace)

I hope we make the most of our stay out here, it's a real treat to have the opportunity to get out of the humidity for a bit and although it is hot here, it's a much more manageable dry heat. We are looking to link up with some of the local guys training out here who can help us find our way to the various amazing venue options around town. This morning we started things off on the the UNM track with some good work and compared notes with Jacob Kirwa, who's about to head to Eugene for NCAAs. We checked out Heart & Sole sports which is a cool and mellow store but with some good runners in tow. Tomorrow morning, it's 90 minutes en el Bosque.

So much about these songs appeals to me right now:


Comments

Meagan Nedlo said…
have you already been out to the river trail? it's flat as a pancake and nice soft surfaces. enjoy your trip!

p.s. if you don't come visit us in 2010 i'm removing you from my blog roll.
Unknown said…
alright alright I'll come to visit if there's any truth to that threat. Oh and by the way, what a way to end the season! Big congrats on those performances! Tell Jordan a conference call isn't far off. Jerry and I have alot of down time these days. Hit the river this morning for a solid 90 minute run, things are looking pretty good right now, steaks marinating and beers in the fridge waiting for our return from an easy pm jog at the Academy. Ya'll take care now.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...