Skip to main content

bajo la luz



What a week. There's alot of ways to induce self-loathing and I've selected a more scenic way to do so. We've been secluded all week, surrounded by mountains and premium cable. What's not to like? Well there is a certain sacrifice I'm feeling being out here, which is tough and my blackened soul will be tested. I do feel the transition beginning for me and as long as I perform in a couple key workouts per week, I think by this time next week I will be able to tell if I'm benefitting from this little endeavor and workload. I have had to be creative with calories, trying to get the nutrition needed while staying fueled for my workouts. I was kind of concerned at the end of yesterday's run when I felt utterly depleted and knew that I was running 21 miles this morning, but we made it through and now my body will hopefully allot a bit more glycogen for future use.

The food has been good, as have the beers and I think we will take a few road trips to look a little farther abroad. Today I'm shot though, I realized it's been over a year since I've run this far, which ain't good and I needed to do this to test the meddle and recall just what running out of fuel feels like and then probing beyond that web. I did have 5 different IPA varietals last night and it's a good thing, i don't know if I'd have survived.

Mentionables for the week:
- Jerry almost got in a fight with some dude on a recumbent in the middle of our tempo run, only boosting my spirits for the remainder of the run.
- We met and ran with several folks that are much faster than either of us and they voiced their support for what we're doing
- Despite being in fitness paradise Jerry still allicited an 8am "put a shirt on" from a prick in PT Cruiser. Jerry's reply: "Stop eating cheeseburgers."
- We ran past and got a hello from the lieutenant governor on this morning's long run.
- Due to visible salt stains on my shirt, I was asked midrun if I needed a drink from a passerby on the Bosque.
- I've made 4 different varieties of pancakes, each of which I believe will standup to the requisites of a needy female companion AND her dog back in Norman.



prelude to greatness

Comments

Unknown said…
and the week continues to be impressive! i hope you and jerry consumed some cheeseburgers this week.

way to rock the long runs too.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...