Skip to main content

Hate to drink alone- made a sandwich to go alongside

Yeah, this is more my style of late. I'm enjoying doing some biking but more in the shorter portioned 2-a-day model, where I try to throw in a few surges, climbs, TT poses- that sort of thing and then wipe the sweat off and go to work for 8hours, and finally repeating the ride back to the house. It never ceases to amaze the disregard I get around town on my bike from drivers, but I haven't gone over anybody's hood yet. I actually really like the idea of grabbing a coffee midway and then finishing the ride out which is what I did last Wednesday and low and behold I was able to do a good deed by rescuing a bewildered dachshund from certain peril and reuniting him with his owner, all while ordering coffee and a danish.

For those readers who are both fans of the Tour and graphic novels (statistical analysis has shown this to be a large subset of my visitors), I thought the VS Epic Cycle bit is kind of interesting and worth visiting if for no other reason than to hear the legends of the tour referred to by their nicknames, ie Bernard "The Badger" Hinault. Science of Sport also had an interesting analysis of Contador's climb up Verbier yesterday, don't you just love real science with all it's potentialities and implications that relate to yesterday's epic ride. Cycling is a unique sport and while I'm no more than a passive rider, I always maintain that I will someday do a recreational bike tour of my own choosing. I think it would be a great way to cover some distance in epic scenery as long it wasn't somewhere that the wind is regularly sweeping down the plains. The other issue of note from this year's tour is of course the absence or any doping, thus far. It's always a little weird to me that it was so rampant in this sport where speed, per se, is not really the issue. That I know of, there is no speed milestone like the 4:00 mile in cycling and while I suppose there may be one in actualy track cycling, really it is more like a cross country race where pace is irrelevant as long as you are at the front of your opponents more often than not.I guess it is the addictive nature of the sport because I really believe more people can be PRETTY good at cycling, with less chance of fallout, burnout, etc like in running. I'm in no way saying that anybody can be a GREAT biker and obviously the time required to ride is much greater anyway, but people will find an amazing amount of excuses to not run like 50 miles per week versus 6-8 hours per week on a bike. I will give a shout out to a known doper and yet indisputable badass who's sentiment seems true in one way, shape or form, maybe with malintent, maybe unwittingly, maybe with purely transcendental hopes.

"Leave me in peace; everybody takes dope."
--Jacques Anquetil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...