Skip to main content

escaped the gallows/ hanging out in Amsterdam

As I came up with this sweet title, I was tuned into OETA and caught the preview for Okie Noodling II, needless to say I will eagerly sitting in front of the telly tonight. The best quote I heard came courtesy of a ragged, threadbare sage who says: "Noodlin- it's like golf, ya just never can git the hang of it." Ah yes, like life itself I suppose, hand fishing certainly never ceases to challenge our psyche and bewilder our anticipatory powers.

Alright, next point of business, I've fucked up my foot to some degree. What exactly I have done alludes me, but I'm pretty positive it's a stress fracture. While I'm no MD and I do get my intelligence on human anatomy regularly challenged by customers at the store, I have researched extensively and have come upon no other explanation remotely close to plausible for my ailment. I have alot of trouble walking as midway along my 2nd metatarsal is sore to the touch and lightly swollen. I had a dull ache for about a week and a half that got slightly more tender last Friday. Then, when I laced up the flats for an 8k on Saturday I was reduced to a walk quite rapidly beyond the mile mark. I had to walk the rest of the way in and by the time I got back to the car, I was in alot of pain. I haven't walked normally since (insert snide comment here). I will keep my progress posted but evidently these things can resolve themselves fairly quickly. It doesn't even matter if it is a stress fracture becuase as mentioned, it's not a scenario that I can train on at this point. Of more interest to me is how I can prevent this from happening. I've been training pretty hard but I sort of suspect maybe something else is also part of the equation so, when I get back to it, I may have to reduce the density of the training a little and get more consistent sleep, but diet may have to be considered. It's funny because I was feeling much more capable as of late compared to a month ago doing the workouts, but I've had some kind of poor results as of late despite doing some of my best quality work ever. I'm frustrated but more in disbelief.

My rudimentary philosophical know how centers alongside Locke's tabula rasa theory, maintaining "people are born without innate ideas, and that knowledge is instead determined only by experience derived by sense perception." I will question my own approach and recount the drama. We are "shaped by experience; sensations and reflections being the two sources of all our ideas" and (back to noodling parallels) "after this noodling is a thrill-seeker's sport and if you can't stand a little pain you're in the wrong business." -Skeeter Bivins, multi-time OKie Noodling Champion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...