Skip to main content

while you were out

It seems I've taken hiatus so time to get back at it. Had a fine weekend participating in the StuCat wedding in Enid. We managed to consume some alcohol, despite the early concern to the contrary. I was hoping to record a PB at the Knot Trot but the ensuing gamesmanship and jangled nerves allowed Stu and Cat to get away from me in the last quarter mile. Oh well there's always next year, right? Enid actually impressed me as there was no indication that the place was going drying up and blowing away. We found a couple nice eateries and bars and more importantly, the dirt roads made a pretty excellent training venue for a Sunday 16 miler. I even had a great time chasing tail all the way home from the bars on Saturday night, if only it weren't runner girls who set a mean pace all the way back to the hotel. It did offer a great opportunity to return my tux in a highly compromised state that made to attendant question what the hell I did in the thing.

I'm unhappy to note the intended closing of Will Rogers State Park by the state of California. Hard to believe that this place was a burden on the economy, as they charge entry to the park, and host polo matches from uppity townships who would no doubt be willing to pay a hefty sum for a place to swing the mallet.

Comments

Jilane said…
I really enjoy Will Rogers Park and was quite disheartened to read its fate in your blog. Bullocks.

I also enjoy your take on our Saturday evening stoll through Enid. Another key positive about that decision? We weren't in the trunk of a Volvo.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...