Skip to main content

Give me a Z-O-L-O-F-T

At this point, I will say that the weather has really been sublime the last few days in Norman, none of the crap that most of the rest of the country, other than central and SoCal has had to endure and very little wind. However, I have incurred an additional injury, no doubt due to compensation for the prior one. My knee has been doing weird things, not tracking properly and giving me shooting pains when it shifts out of alignment, even while biking or, say, walking down a ramp of the beer truck. At this point I've set an appointment with a ART guy up in the city for my foot, which will hopefully make some progress on the root cause. I am going to continue running but just for a few paltry miles at a time and pretty much all on even grass. It is weird because I had been really good about rolling my foot, but I reckon at some point I crossed a line where the rolling was inflaming the injury so now I'm going to do more strait icing, which has shown at least some benefit.

I'm not really that unsettled, as right now I'm quaffing espresso and a cranberry scone, reading up on the booming local porn scene. Also positive has been the fact that I have the strength and energy to bike to the bars and stay out late reconoitering with some long unseen locals. I'm even optimistic about my job- I've been promised (not guaranteed) that we will be sending back all 12 varieties of Smirnoff Ice and that, in supplement, I will be allowed to grace our shelves with some new beers.
That brings something to mind, if you have the opportunity to try the Flying Dog Double Dog, I would only follow through on it if you are a fucking disheveled, mangy hop-head like myself because it packs a wollop, both in IBU's and alcohol. On a more balanced note, I was treated to a really nice '05 Hobbs Pinot on Christmas. I learned that it recieved a 91 from Parker. The winery is probably one of the handfull that I have ever had of that class and it was indeed its own food group at the dinner table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...