Skip to main content

apathy for the apathetic

A quick running update: as I'm now approaching 2 weeks on the DL, I'm still feeling alot of soreness in the heal and arch. My analysis of the issue is a partial rupture of the fascia, this being the reason for the lengthy and severe inflamation. At this point I'm optimistic that I'm making small strides through a hell of a lot of stretching to make sure the scar tissue heals in the ideal lengthened pattern. According to Dr. Brian Fullem, a respected poiatrist to elite runners, actually tearing the plantar is not that much of a detriment other than the initial recovery time as long as it is rehabbed correctly, it almost acts like the surgical correction process in the it should let up some of the tension on the tissue. My main concern is that I will keep inflaming it at the insertian to the calcaneus and not get out of the cycle of injury. Vamos a ver.

In other news, I follow Peter Travers, the Rolling Stone movie columnist, and along with the excellent September issue highlighting the lasting impacts of The Big Lebowski, he details the neglect of comedy movies by major award syndicates. I tend to agree with his movie reviews, although I'm not as gung-ho on the Judd Apatow products, and love the notion of Jeff Spicoli and THe Dude as award-worthy roles as they are monstrously iconic. I can also say that I will always remain optimistic towards the "next" Bond film, and I'll give the nod to Daniel Craig until future posts. Hell, the guys a good runner to boot , and evidently he's learning parkour for the role from the dude who invented the sport so at least he's trying to mimic the true nature of the Bond character.

Anyway, for all my faithful readers I bid you a good day. It's Friday, now go eat a donut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...