Skip to main content

very superstitious

Planned workout: 8-10x 1/2 mile w/ 2:00 jog in 2:30 (maybe a bit faster the last 2)
Actual: 4w/u strides, 8 @ 2:35, 4c/d
This workout was very lackluster, just couldn't get moving and so I called it early instead of finishing a shitty workout feeling shitty. Naturally, I feel fine now. Now, I'm not much of a mystic but if I were, I would cite one or more of the following excuses for my performance to boost my street cred:
-Dr. J's out of town visiting Hotlanta and I've come to appreciate his masculine escort.
-As it turns out, today was the ascent of the Col de la Bonnette, the highest through road in Europe, so I should have done hill repeats or something
-Le Alpe D'Huez is actually tomorrow so I was out of tune with the "correct vibe" that I needed.
-I neglected to dawn my lucky hat and jockstrap this morning, opting for the sunny's instead
-"Maybe I shouldn't have drank so much Absynthe?"
-I had one of my somewhat lackluster ESB's last night, when my body was calling for at least one more, I failed to heed my body.
-The community along the Pickard Street 1/2 mile stretch, decided they were going to enact Beijing-like conditions, so to top off the 90 degree temps at 8:30am, there were several people mowing and weed-eating along with the street painting crew laying down some sort of noctious sealant along with the actual (lead based?) paint.
-Finally, maybe if I had more confidence in myself, I would have waited until tomorrow to do this workout or consolidated the past 2 mornings work to yield one hard effort instead if 2 mediums.

In any case, I'm not beating myself up, I know that this workout should have felt much easier, and the only negative is that I wasn't able to achieve the faster splits I wanted. I could have done 10 @ 2:35 but I would have ruffed my self up doing it and that still wouldn't have really achieved the workout, instead I called it and my legs aren't too beat. I'll come back and do something fast in a few days and I think there will be more inertia moving in the right direction by that time. I'm also vagually considering doing the Midnight Streak 5k(which starts at 11pm saturday) if I don't head to Colorado instead.
Today's tour was pretty awesome- thrills, chills, and spills- and it's just going to be better tomorrow. I also bartered some of my beer for a selection of the stuff being brewed up at Stevenson and so by 11am this morning, I had a beer down the hatch(I did my own half and half) and was watching the tour with most of the days work already done. Does it get much better? Vive le Tour, vive le zymurgy...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...