Skip to main content

Hump Day at McNellie's

Wednesday was an eventful one. To start, Jordan and I undertook a little more daring workout venture. THe workout was a 6 mile tempo run then a jog to the track and an 800,600,400,200 at 5k pace. I surprisingly felt decent when we started the tempo and assumed I would only feel better as the workout went on. However, the tempo proved to be a little tough by the last mile although I just more or less maintained 5:30s throughout despite some miles with slick turns or some strait down a flat road. The mile or so jog over to the track left us pretty soaked as the humidity was quite high. I always have trouble changing gears so I just pretty much progressed into the 800 in 2:29 and then was able to take off a couple seconds per 400 for the next repeats. Jordan was way out front as this is clearly the most glaring example of our inherent abilities. The track work left my legs feeling a little more responsive but by the time I got home, I was definitely a little depleted. A Gu might be a good idea in the future for something like this?
In the afternoon, I headed up to OKC for a stop at 2 brew shops and 3 different bike shops with my buddy Doug. By the time we made it downtown, I was in dire need of a beer and in that we were headed for McNellie's, I could not have been more appropriately recieved. $3 burger night and 4 pints (Marshall IPA being my fave) made the evening stretch out a bit and I begrudgingly sacked the evening slog when I got home.
Right now, I feel stretched a tad thin, so I'm looking at some recovery in the next few days and hopefully I will feel like I'm absorbing the training a little better by this weekend. Headed to T-town this weekend for a short stay to celebrate Johnny Mullholland's 26th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...