Skip to main content

Drudgery

So when I left off, I was just about to go see the Bob Dylan semibiographical "I'm Not There." I don't know if I would recommend this movie to people just because they are fans of the musician, but it was an interesting take for sure. THe movie is highly stylized and shape-shifting, so in that way it could mimic its intended characterization. THis is not a straight-forward film and if you don't have patience for the nuanced blotter style where we visit and revisit the various characters throughout the film in non-chronological order, this may not quite appeal to you. I think it is important to read a review to sort of grasp what your getting into plot-wise. THe film portrays a number of Dylan-like roles. I can point out that the movie, while it sheds light on the multi-fringed life of Dylan, it seems like it is a bit short-sighted over the most popular Dylan catalogue. I still don't know quite how I feel about this one, but I like to think that I could see it again and maybe grasp more and probably also provide more criticism of the director. However, there are a slew of big-time actors in this one, just one more resounding appeal for Bob Dylan.
This week's training load got away from me a bit. I may have picked up a bug or something but got in a couple decent workouts, nonetheless. I did 11x 1/2 mile on Wednesday (during which I had a mild verbal altercation with a dude in a truck on Pickard) and it really seemed to have taken alot out of me mentally and physically so I bagged my intended tempo on Friday mainly because I just wasn't excited about dealing with traffic. Today I did some subbing at Norman High, which made for an early morning run, but I then ran up to the grass track and north base after class for a nice change of scenery (and also had some prick flagrantly honk and swerve at me). I definitely could use less pavement during the big volume weeks.
I'm going to give a shout to the campus radio station, The Wire. Even though I don't really listen to the station, you can, and they have podcasts and a list of local tour dates, etc. I would really like to be a DJ here to give it a shot before I go big-time with my very own podcast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...