Skip to main content

Is this uhh- what day is today?

Hit the road in the supposed 8 degree windchill this morning, which I'm going to call bs on, for a steady 16ish miles. I actually felt pretty good, if a tad stiff after yesterday's easy running. Hit up another 30' jog w/ skolnick after seeing Dan In Real Life at the $ theater. I rate Steve Carell's latest flick as a B-. Jokin, if you're reading this, I stopped by to check on you at the shop but no dice and it looked a tad busy I might add- almost like Gus needs to hire another strapping young shoe jockey. So with the colder weather and lack of funding I'm currently recieving, I have become interested in utilizing the public transportation in Norman. Conveniently, there is an apartment stop just up the way from my house where I can then make it over to the south oval. I assumed that this was either a free route or cost 50 cents. Turns out that even though it's a CART bus, it's only available for use by students, you can't even pay your way. This pissed me off because it effectively shuts off the bus system unless I walk the mile over to Lloyd Noble and then take that bus, which basically renders it about as convenient as riding my bike in terms of time or in the case of inclement weather. So, combine that with Jordan's sentimments on the bus being perpetually late, I have concluded the public transportation around town is seriously lacking. I did happen to catch a public forum where they addressed the updating of the CART system but it is going to be a lengthy 3 stage process that is going to take a few years to implement. THe CART site and an overview of the restructuring plan is available here. Perhaps more noteworthy is the fact that Shaggy (former OU trackie) is the official poster boy of CART and who knew he would look so ruggedly hansome with a cheap bike helmet on his head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...

this wilderness up in my head

It looks like I've let a week get away from me without blogification so here goes- Training was nice. I've been able to get in some doubles, mainly because I need an easy jog in the afternoons after I do these treadmill tests but as long as I stretch and stuff, I've been feeling good enough. I'm running pretty steady on my runs and as a result having a little trouble building the duration of my runs, but the fitness is coming along and I'm not that concerned with an official long run at this point. I got a nice run in with John on Monday, hit the Vo2 on Tuesday, where I went significantly farther on the test, but got a lower reading than last time, 74. The ex phys kids were threatening to increase my critical velocity to 4:00 pace but I told them that was ridiculous and they relented. I backed that up on Wednesday with 2 minutes at 14mph, big break, then 21 minutes at 5:10 pace, which took some concentration but I could have knocked out a few more minutes. I'm c...