Skip to main content

coach, why do my legs hurt?

Thanks to Sallah Hussein for that gem. Well as luck would have it, my legs do hurt but I think I have an explanation for that. I seem to be a bit slow right now with all the miles. The long run on Sunday was not devastating but I ran enough yesterday that I still didn't feel fresh by the end of the day on Monday. Typicallly, I like to wait to work out until Wednesday due to the volume I am putting in but I moved the workout to this morning because the weather is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow and I didn't think it would be too tough. I pulled out the old 10x half mile w/ ~1:30-2:00 jog, but intentionally set the goal time of 2:40, which is about my goal half marathon time for next month. Anyway, I took a few repeats to even get under 2:40 and then just felt like I was working alot harder than I should have been to run pace. I did the work and so I'm just going to treat this like a pretty high density block with a steady long run, a total of 16.5 on Monday with some hill presses and then some race pace intervals this morning and another 5 or 6 this evening. Anyway, I know that I tend to be able to get away with lower quality than some guys that race at my ability because I usually do more volume but the bottom line is that pace needs to be much more comfortable for me.
In other news, I read that people tend to rate their satisfaction of wine higher purely based on price. While, I'm not surprised, I will proudly say that I don't fall prey to this vicious cycle. In fact, I base my wine ratings on taste. More of note, I buy my wine purely as a reaction to the bottle art. My rating system is something like this: (preface)obviously the wine that I am hereby referring to is dark red in color and is not of any dessert variety, I don't want anything to do with a white unless, I'm cooking or making a martini (1) if the art features any animal namely a stag, rooster, or other similarly stately creature, it's a legitimate option (2) if the art features a landscape that tries to showcase the region from which the grapes originate, I must consult the true winery location and check if they match up (3) if the bottle features non descript writing, chances are the bottle is either way out of my price range or from some mass producer and therefore of less appeal. There you have it, the official critieria that I use to wage battle with the endless amount of vino finding it way to our shelves.
To begin your search, I suggest Joe's Place in Norman. They are typically very knowledgeable and they host a great number of free tastings that you can find out about on by subscribing to their online newsletter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...