Skip to main content

Beneath the sign of the Aquarius yet again

Another week gone by and another birthday too. Supped on my b-day at an Ethiopian place up in the city, Queen of Sheeba, which was really good. The berbere blend that they used was pretty mild but there were a pretty good number of menu options and a full bar. I also managed to dine at both Irma's locations this week and I must say I appreciate the concept, a tasty diner style burger, rings, fries, or okra and a quality selection of beers without too many frills.
On Friday night, I headed up to the OKC art museum to watch Control, a film based on the life of Ian Curtis of Joy Division. It was a pretty dramatic show and did alot to provide a glimpse into the vivid and emotional life of this pop icon. On Saturday, I headed up to the meeting and open house of the Oklahoma Food Coop. This was pretty neat and while I'm sure it is a much smaller enterprise than those taking place in other states, it is unique in the fact that it is carried out to directly link the producer and consumer and without any markup. I think that the entire group is really going to blossom and I'm excited to expand my involvement. I caught up with a couple people that I know there and met a few more folks.
Earlier in the week, I stopped my the Norman Animal Shelter and Second Chance Animal Sanctuary with my sister to take stock of potential adoptees. We picked a couple likely cadidates and I headed back to Second Chance on Saturday to firm up the details. It looks like I will be becoming the proud new owner of a sporting young orange tabby and my sister is getting a unique looking grey and white patched specimen. To conclude an enjoyable Saturday, I got to sample some different Duvel Belgian ales and play a round of vintage 1980 Trivial Pursuit with my buddy Jason and some lady friends.
On the running front, I had a pretty good week, despite a cold snap. I'm guessing I put in 120 miles highlighted by an 11 mile marathon pace run and a steady 21ish this morning in the renewed warm, sunny weather.
Since I'm lavishing you with my new pet details, I'll acknowledge the place from which I'll be adopting. Second Chance is a great non-profit pet sanctuary. They don't euthanize and take great care of each animal on the premises until they find the appropriate home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...