Skip to main content

26.2 milers are like shrimp and Tulsa is for lovers


First 'thon in the books and I've already mostly blocked out the nasty bits of the race. When my feet started feeling like they were on fire at 15 miles, I just tried to imagine how bad they could be if I was the guy that I saw running the race in flip-flops or the dude decked out in full gaucho attire. And when I felt like the last 4 hilly miles couldn't possibly end, I just imagined I was running after the people that designed the last part of the race with such a gratuitously steep nature. Mr. Billy J. Grona- Bush had a pretty good day, finishing 3rd. We ran together early and then he ran aggresively a struggled a bit after 20. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have run a few minutes faster if he could have bided his time and run with Tommy Manning who ended up passing him late to finish 2nd. However, there is just no way to tell what those guys were going to do and so Bill has to be commended for taking the reigns and not sitting back to try to settle for just a high placing. MEATY!!!
Splits (mostly in 2 miles blocks) for me were:
12:19, 11:37, 11:06, 11:07, 11:13, 11:17, 22:44 (for 4), 11:04, 11:27, 11:32 (first steep hills and turns), 12:01 (hills, big hills), and 13:10ish for 2.2
*Important to note that a beautiful swerving, soaring plane maneuver was orchestrated by moi in the last 50 meters to the finish.
Long runs were the big difference in the prep for this one and as Bill so eloquently noted as he called for his lady's participation in a future marathon: "Man after the first one (2+ hour run), I couldn't walk but it gets better- It's like shrimp man, the first time I tried 'em, I cound't stand it, now I eat those suckers up!"
I stayed on a day extra with the newlyweds in T-town and got a little fishing in and a jog at the BAHS track with Billy's high schoolers, who are a good lot. I then made the foray back to Norman at the helm of JohnBoy's ride, chasing an excellent Western sunset with the smell of burning oil in my nostrils...

Comments

Unknown said…
Great run my friend. A brilliant one in fact. One question...why no yellow singlet? And how come fleet feet Tulsa got mention in the paper for mr. manning. OK Runner represents! Well done.

Popular posts from this blog

ride the wave

I hit the track this morning for some work. It was another nice morning but I can't imagine the humidity abating for long. Jordan and Meagan had matching workouts of 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/ 60 second rest. The paces prescribed were quick and I didn't run great but I tried to hang with Jordan on the middle reps. I should hopefully be able to substantially improve on my efforts this morning and maybe feel better doing it. I did something like a 200-500-1100-800-1600-1200-600-200, I wasn't happy with missing out on the first 1600 but I had to break for the restroom and I at least touched on some faster paces on the other reps. The recovery made it a pretty honest effort and I at least was able to sneak below 5:00 pace. My goal for the summer is breaking 15:00 so we'll see what happens. The picture above is my uncle's digital rendering of a wave complete with a frigate bird. I think he used only Adobe throughout the process.

Where you at?

Those were the words uttered, or shouted, over and over at me through the phone as Skolnick and I headed out of the apartment to see what manner of road kill awaited. As we headed down Buchanan St. to try to corral a one Spenis Hunt, we started peaking in to several bars to see where this hooligan was lurking. Our phone convo circuitously proceeded something like Me: All right man we're looking for you, so you're in Joe's? Spenis: Yeah Joe's and Othello's. Where you at? Me: I coming from just up the street at Essex, stay where you are we're coming for you. Spenis: Where you at? La Luna? I'm at White St. and Boomer. Me: Fuck me. How the hell did you get over there so fast? Now where are you, we're on White St. and I don't see you. Spenis: Where the fuck you at? So as you can see, we were in a bind. Spencer was clearly obliterated, PD were out and about, and I couldn't seem to find the asshole, considering I'm walking down the street, which are...

I'm so sorry I came in late this evening, all the clocks around town had died

I had some fatigue in the quads this morning, which I didn't really expect because yesterday was a medium day on the treadmill, but I've been stringing together some good days and every once in a while the quality takes it toll. I feel generally good though running the miles right now. I did just that this evening, but made the mistake of eating the darko choco bar prior to and paid the price at about the hour mark. Stomach started talking to me but I made it home, only felt rubbish on the few strides I actually pulled off. It was a very windy afternoon, but temps were great and I bumped in to Jenny Graef and legged out some miles in good company, after we stopped to let her new pooch out for a whiz. I got into my promo beer this evening, my version of pepto, I had the Southampton IPA and Gordon Biersch Golden Bock. The IPA needs more IBUs albeit having a nice floral aroma, it lacks some punch and the bock was sweet scented and curiously higher alcohol but sort of low on anythi...